db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Florent <eflor...@devaki.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [PROPOSAL] Adding a torque-gui repository inside of the torque project
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:53:20 GMT
>   If not, we should discuss this more.
What about a standalone project for the torque-gen ?
I think that that proposal is rather a small component than a standalone
project. Think about Axion, Think about an full featured IDE @apache.
That probably would be revolutionary, but that's not my proposal.

That's why I would like to refer to http://db.apache.org/newproject.html
rather than
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

At db.apache strong analisys should make appear that criteria 1,2,5 and
especially 4 make the proposal a good candidate for sub-project. On my
non-objective point of view warning 1 to 5 are OK.
But the solution for this proposal should for me have be what Martin
proposed :
> maybe we should reorganize our repository structure
> >
> > db-torque
> >     generator
> >     gui
> >     maven-pl

So as far as I remember ant have a gui, maven have a gui.

I only see Criteria 3 (Core developers) but it make deseaper what we are
not even talking of a sub-project. The criteria implode if you consider
having a bigger userbase of the torque-gen codebase.

So pass it is very neccessary to discuss this more.

I think about two FAQ :
- this project should have be an eclipse plugin
no because it's good practice that not to code while designing,
The principal benefit of using eclipse would have be for having a nice
docked tree.

- kind of project should have use GEF, or use the dia/xslt approach
Most of library relies on UML. I suggest to follow Amblin :
http://www.agiledata.org/essays/umlDataModelingProfile.html
to have a torque dedicated UI.

Lot thing have to be discuted again.
I'm just interessed by this.