db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Bug: NullpointerException in Base<table>Manager
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:36:29 GMT
Hi all,

Out of the blue, my torque application has suddenly decided to bomb out
with a NullPointerException when saving a specific object to the database.

The bombout occurs in the generated code Base<Table>Manager.java, where
on about line 145, it says this:

     public static void putInstance(Persistent om)
         throws TorqueException
     {
145:        getManager().putInstanceImpl(om);
     }

 From the above, I conclude that getManager() is returning null. This is
defined as:

     /**
      * Retrieves an implementation of the manager, based on the settings in
      * the configuration.
      *
      * @return an implementation of NotedebitcreditManager.
      */
     public static NotedebitcreditManager getManager()
     {
         return (NotedebitcreditManager)
             Torque.getManager(NotedebitcreditManager.MANAGED_CLASS,
                 NotedebitcreditManager.DEFAULT_MANAGER_CLASS);
     }

 From this, Torque.getManager() is returning null.

Question 1: Under what cicumstances can the above function return null,
so that I can try and prevent those circumstances happening, and

Question 2: What can be done to ensure this function never returns null,
but rather throws a descriptive exception instead?

I tried to check whether this bug was present in scarab, but scarab is down.

I am using torque and torque-gen v3.1 as published at
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven.

Regards,
Graham