db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject Case sensitivity of LIKE
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:19:52 GMT
I have recently converted an application that uses Torque from MySQL to
PostgreSQL.  It has just become evident that LIKE statements behave
differently between these two thus:

    MySQL - LIKE is case insensitive.
    PostgreSQL - LIKE is case sensitive, for case insensitive you can
use ILIKE

I have looked into Oracle and for it you need to go:

    like UPPER(colname) like 'ABC' - and provide a functional index to
make it work efficiently.

I haven't looked at any further databases, but three variations for
three systems is not a very good start.

I guess I can hack it for PostgreSQL by just using my own " ILIKE"
constant instead of Criteria.LIKE, but I am wondering if this something
that Torque should perhaps cater for somehow?

Scott
--

Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.