db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From CHIU YEE WEAY <ywc...@paradigm.com.my>
Subject Re: Unicode support for varchar
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:16:29 GMT
Greetings Dan,

There are times where we only want to have certain varchar columns in a
table to support unicode, but not all, due to the size. Thus, the missing
of a property to indicate the unicode support for a column in the XML
schema, will not allow me to know whether tha native data type to use is
varchar or nvarchar (in mssql case). The default will always be varchar.

A simpler example for illustrating my problem will be : Let say, I have a
nvarchar column in a table in mssql. When I generate the XML schema for
this table, the column will always be in VARCHAR. When I use the
generated XML schema to come out for the database creation scripts in
mssql, it will always give me as varchar, instead of the expected
nvarchar, as no attributes in the schema to indicate this is, in fact, a
nvarchar column.

Or is there any workaround that you can think of ?

Chiu Yee Weay
Systems Engineer
Paradigm Systems Sdn Bhd