db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Garcia" <SGar...@qrs.com>
Subject RE: Diffing XML Schemas
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 04:29:17 GMT
Hello!  About a month ago I asked (the question below) about the ability to
"incrementally" update a database schema given an XML schema.  Torque didn't
offer this feature, and I couldn't find any java-based solutions on the web
after searching for some time (there are some Embarcadero tools that do this
but they are expensive and do not have a Java API).

So I've decided to download the Torque Generator source (3.1) and code in
this feature myself.  After some considerable headway I realized that this
might be useful to other individuals as well, and I subsequently thought
about contributing my work to the Torque Generator Project.  Accordingly I
want to ping the Torque-Dev group on their interest in incorporating these
features.  Here is a summary of what I have added (or will complete within
the next month):

1.  Given a source Torque XML schema and a target RDBMS, create only the
"sql upgrade file" and upgrade the target RDBMS to conform to the source XML
schema file.

This is a nice feature because it allows users to alter specific schema
objects without dropping the entire schema.  This is especially useful when
you have multiple version of your schema that you are releasing to the
public, and you have to upgrade the database.  A simple use case is you
release your v1.0 product, and when you release v2.0 you just want to
upgrade the schema, export/drop/build/import the data.

Right now I'm planning on supporting changes to
  tables
  columns
  foreignkeys
  unique constraints

I am (obviously) going to do this in a database-independent way as that is
the real power of Torque.  I have also written numerous unit tests to
confirm that all of this stuff that I have done works.  This whole project
essentially entails using the ALTER statement to modify database schemas.

Is this feature something that people here would be interested in?  I would
appreciate your comments.  If you wish, I will explain in more detail what
I've done, what classes I've modified, etc.

Thanks, Steve Garcia