db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>
Subject PostegreSQL datatype mapping for LONGVARCHAR - bytea vs text
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:55:36 GMT
Is there a reason why LONGVARCHAR maps to "bytea" rahter than "text" for
PostgreSQL?

I am in the process of converting an application over from MySQL to
PostgreSQL and am finding that my application experiences a couple of
problems storing data into the columns defined as bytea (usually it just
hangs).  I am attempting to make my application as database neutral as
possible (beween MySQL and PostgreSQL that is), and I am thus thinking
that the PostgreSQL text type would be a better mapping for
LONGVARCHAR.  So should the PostgreSQL mapping for LONGVARCHAR be
updated to be "text" or should I switch to CLOB (which uses "text" for
PostgreSQL and "LONGTEXT" for MySQL)?

Is anyone using a column type that maps to bytea under PostgreSQL
successfully?  This includes: LONGVARCHAR, BINARY, VARBINARY and
LONGVARBINARY.

The mapping for LONGVARCHAR looks wrong to my eyes - I'll change it to
"text" locally and see how things go.

Scott

--
Scott Eade