db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From "Hans Lellelid" <h...@velum.net>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] PHP5 Torque port: Propel
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:27:59 GMT
Hi all,

I'm working on a port of Torque for PHP5, which I'm calling Propel.  The
port is still in pre-alpha development state, but hopefully an alpha version
will be released in the next couple of weeks.  This product will not have
all the features of Torque (so maybe "based on Torque" is more accurate than
"port of Torque"); specifically, the PHP5 version will not support Managers,
nor the IdBroker option for sequence generation.  There are also some
internal differences, most related to how PHP types differ from Java types
(e.g. exclusivly primitives for native types) and some performance
optimizations made.  Also PHP can't take advantage of connection pooling, or
the OJB components.  Essentially, then, it's a simplified Torque.  It will
probably grow more complex in the areas of Criteria compliation caching.

Torque is a wonderfully well conceived and written project.  I've really
enjoyed getting to understand the code better, as I've been working with
these classes.  I'm hopeful that a PHP5 port of Torque will give PHP a first
enterprise-scale object persistence layer, and will also make it possible
for projects using Propel to migrate to Java without needing to rewrite
schemas or re-think the object persistence layer.

For more information, please visit the project page:
http://propel.tigris.org/.

Propel is licensed under the LGPL, and includes the Apache license
disclaimer.  I've left all original author names in the headers for the
classes that I have converted (rather than re-written).  Please contact me
if you have any issues or questions about Propel licensing and/or branding
with respect to Torque.

Thanks for creating a model product in the open-source community.

Cheers,
Hans