db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject creating the sql for a large IN clause is very slow
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:48:32 GMT
The following change

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/db-torque/src/java/org/apache/torque/util/SqlExpression.java.diff?r1=1.22&r2=1.23&diff_format=h

switched from using a HashSet to a subclass of ArrayList.  Is there any
reason this could not be reverted?  Is there any reason the order of the
items would matter?  If the order is important we might want to consider
the use of a HashSet internally within UniqueList, otherwise the speed
difference is dramatic between using a HashSet and List.contains() in
the case of a large IN clause.

It could also be argued that we don't need to worry about the values in
the original list/array, but its possible there is application code
dependent on it to keep the sql IN clause smaller.

john mcnally