db-torque-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Joseph <gai...@yha.att.ne.jp>
Subject Re: recursive save
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 07:06:37 GMT
Hi,

I seem to be experiencing something that seems like a recursive save.
 At least I am getting java.lang.OutOfMemory errors when I am trying to
perform a save() operation.

The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to happen when I run an
independent test, but only when I am running the code from within
Tomcat.  Well, I think in the independent mode the JVM just terminates
itself (it's running within ant).  Whereas in the Tomcat environment,
the JVM doesn't crash out, but the memory consumption spirals up and up
until I get OutOfMemoryErrors.

Under these circumstances a recursive bit of code would fit the bill as
culprit, however looking at  my OM classes I see that after the save()
operation in called in my Event object that extends BaseEvent the
following functions are called:

[Event] save()
[BaseEvent] save(String dbName)
[BaseEvent] save(DBConnection dbCon)
[BaseEventPeer] doInsert( Criteria criteria, DBConnection dbCon )
[BasePeer] doInsert( Criteria criteria, DBConnection dbCon )

It is after calling BasePeer.doInsert() that the code hangs - and I get
OutOfMemory errors in a Tomcat environment, and the JVM terminates in
the ant test environment.

I haven't placed debug statements with the BasePeer code yet, as that
will require re-compiling the jar etc., but superficially there does not
seem to be any recursion taking place in the OM classes, although
conceivably my bugging operations are not telling the whole story.

I have read the emails regarding the recursive saving problem, and been
looking at the latest code in Torque CVS but I can't fathom what is
actually causing the recursive problem being talked about, and whether
it might be the same problem I am experiencing.

Could anyone explain to me what the existing recursive save problem was?
 Or rather which are the methods that are called recursively and what
triggers them to be called so, a flag or something?

Thanks in advance.

CHEERS> SAM