db-ojb-user mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OJB, JDO2 and apache jdo project (and jpox)
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:56:49 GMT

On Jun 2, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Martin Taal wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a question, what is the future of jdo support in ojb in
> relation to the jdo2 spec and the apache jdo project (http://
> wiki.apache.org/jdo/)?
>
> In a post (20 March 2005) to this mailing list from Brian
> McCallister he says the following:
> >>
> OJB's JDO implementation is more proof-of-concept than production-
> usable. A good open source JDO implementation is JPOX ( http://
> www.jpox.org/ ). Before long there should be an Apache JDO ( http://
> wiki.apache.org/jdo/ )project which can use OJB as the O/R Mapping
> backend.
> <<
>
> Brian says that apache jdo can use ojb as the backend. Is this
> indeed the current idea of the apache jdo project and if so what
> timeframe should I think of?

The Apache JDO project ( jdo-dev-subscribe@db.apache.org ) is going.
The priority, right now, is finishing the JDO 2.0 TCK rather than the
implementation (which will need to wait until final JDO 2.0 spec
(close) and the TCK to be completed (to verify that it passes!)).

The JDO 1.0.X RI codebase has been imported to the ASF subversion
repository, and we could build up the OJB - JDO 1.0 plugin to be
beefier, except that I think the general concensus is that JDO 2.0 is
so much better than 1.0 that we may as well just build towards that.

I still recommend JPOX if you need an open source JDO implementation
(though I've not had a chance to use the now open-sourced Versant
one, it may be very nice, I dunno). JPOX doesn't provide the range of
databases, or all of the flexibility of OJB, but it does do
a compliant JDO =)

-Brian