db-ojb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Berkel <...@sitadelle.com>
Subject Re: Strange null pointer exceptions
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:21:02 GMT

>>I keep getting  NullPointerExceptions while retrieving an object from
>>the database (OJB 1.0RC4).
>>

>>my repository_user.xml is set up as explained in the tutorials
>>(extent-class in Template/BaseTemplate etc., to be sure I also used
>>ojbConcreteClass to specify the classname)
>>

>Please post the repository_user.xml.  I guess an attribute or
>field-descriptor is missing there.

NB: I use the xdoclet module to generate the mappings:

<class-descriptor
    class="cabane.templates.Template"
    table="TEMPLATES"

    <extent-class class-ref="cabane.templates.BaseTemplate"/>
    <extent-class class-ref="cabane.templates.MailTemplate"/>
</class-descriptor>

<class-descriptor
    class="cabane.templates.BaseTemplate"
    proxy="dynamic"

    <extent-class class-ref="cabane.templates.MailTemplate"/>
</class-descriptor>

<class-descriptor
    class="cabane.templates.MailTemplate"
    table="TEMPLATES"

    <field-descriptor
        name="id"
        column="ID"
        jdbc-type="INTEGER"
        primarykey="true"
        autoincrement="true"

    </field-descriptor>
    <field-descriptor
        name="name"
        column="NAME"
        jdbc-type="VARCHAR"

    </field-descriptor>
    <field-descriptor
        name="language"
        column="LANGUAGE"
        jdbc-type="VARCHAR"

    </field-descriptor>
    <field-descriptor
        name="content"
        column="CONTENT"
        jdbc-type="VARCHAR"

    </field-descriptor>
</class-descriptor>

>Another valuable hint could be a stacktrace with line
>numbers.

test:
    [junit] Testsuite: cabane.templates.TemplateTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 3,119 sec
    [junit] ------------- Standard Error -----------------
    [junit] java.lang.NullPointerException
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.ClassDescriptor.getPkFields(Cl
assDescriptor.java:893)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsIterator.getIdentityFromR
esultSet(RsIterator.java:378)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsIterator.getObjectFromRes
ultSet(RsIterator.java:424)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsIterator.next(RsIterator.
java:254)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ChainingIterator.next(Chain
ingIterator.java:357)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getCollectio
nByQuery(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1374)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getCollectio
nByQuery(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1515)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getCollectio
nByQuery(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1551)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getCollectio
nByQuery(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1540)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getObjectByQ
uery(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1802)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.DelegatingPersistenceBroker.getObj
ectByQuery(DelegatingPersistenceBroker.java:286)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.DelegatingPersistenceBroker.getObj
ectByQuery(DelegatingPersistenceBroker.java:286)
    [junit]     at
cabane.persistence.OJBPersistence.getTemplate(OJBPersistence.
java:246)

reagarding the "skipped" message I think you're right, it only occurred
when I put the field descriptors in the base _and_ extended class.

regards,
    Jan