db-ojb-user mailing list archives

From Justis Peters <jus...@oculan.com>
Subject Re: RC3 x RC4 ?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:29:38 GMT
Hi Glauber,

In my experience, yes it does help performance to use proxies.  If you have any "composite"
objects in your object model, using proxies helps a lot.  This way, if you are simply displaying
an index of all objects of one type, it only has to load the object itself and not any of
its component objects.  The component objects will be loaded only once you attempt to access
to component.  I would recommend, however, that you consider whether or not to use a proxy
on a class-by-class basis.  Some of your simpler classes would get slower if you use a proxy.
 For the more complex classes, though, you will see amazing speed increases by using a proxy.

Additionally, tweaking you cache settings can help a lot.  I have taken some of my more complex
classes and run continuous access/display loops (using "while (true)" loops) just to test
the speed.  After the first few runs through the loop, things speed up drastically.  I imagine
this is because my objects are retrieved from the cache instead of from the database.

I see no reason to shy away from RC4 for performance reasons.  Good tweaking of proxies and
cache should get such a performance gain over JDBC that you will never notice the difference.
 The user who mentioned problems with performance earlier may have simply lost some of the
cache and proxy settings that had made RC3 work so well him.

Make yourself some good test classes and run them using different proxy and cache settings.
 I'll think you'll find some settings that work really well for you.

Enjoy!

Justis Peters
Oculan Corp.
www.oculan.com