db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Cleanup SVN trunk
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:50:09 GMT
On 7/22/06, Armin Waibel <arminw@apache.org> wrote:

> because of missing manpower and to concentrate work on OJB 1.x/2.x I
> recommend to cleanup the source code.
>
> The Prevlayer support is only a rudimentary alpha version of outdated
> Prevlayer 1.x version (no work on this stuff for years).
> The SODA support is only rudimentary (no work on this stuff for years).
> The OTM is in early alpha status, work stopped many moth ago, many bugs,
> slow performance, not ready for production.
> The org.apache.ojb.jdori package contains the JDO1.0 support based on
> jdori. Nobody worked on this stuff for many month. The implementation
> has bugs and is not ready for production.
>
> Vote:
> -----
>
> 1. remove of Prevlayer support

+1,
nobody is using this as it does not compile anyway and nobody
complained, so lets get rid of it

> 2. remove the SODA support

+1,
I never used it so I don't know how good it works, but I think nobody
uses it, so lets remove it

> 3. move OTM sources to an archive directory (remove from classpath),
> then it's easy to search for and copy interesting stuff to OJB core. The
> OTM concepts are very interesting.

+1,
it makes integrating changes a lot harder, and nobody AFAIK uses it

> 4. remove of the org.apache.ojb.jdori package in source, cleanup
> documentation, recommendation for JPOX (seems to be a solid JDO1/2
> implementation).

+0,
I"d like to see a JDO implementation perhaps using OJB, but this one
doesn't work. It will be available in SVN though

Tom