db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic map creation on-the-fly
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:44:38 GMT
On 9/25/05, C├ęsar Obach-Renner <cobach@guru.com.ve> wrote:

<snip>

> I'm aware of this kind of issues since I developed once a tool like this
> back in 1998 after I participated in some discussions with the Toplink
> developement team in San Jose.
>
> Which would be the process to evaluate the incorporation of this optional
> functionality and my collaboration to the project for this?

I think the best way would be to first create a Feature Request in
OJB's JIRA (against 1.1 CVS) that specifies in detail what the
functionality should be able to do.
Then you should create some unit tests so that we can help you with
implementing it.

IMO this functionality can easily be separated into two functions:

* creating a repository mapping dynamically, eg. via bean
introsprection and default java->jdbc type mappings

* creating/adapting a schema in the database automatically to fit the
schema implicitly contained in the repository mapping (which contains
all info except for indices), this should be easy using DdlUtils

Btw, you might want to have a look at Ruby on Rails, they have a
similar functionality, perhaps you can get some ideas from there
(Brian, care to comment ?)

Tom