db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Clute, Andrew" <Andrew.Cl...@osn.state.oh.us>
Subject RE: RFC: Multi-Level Timeouts for Default Cache
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:00:38 GMT

> I'd rather avoid putting cache-info into the class
> descriptors, mostly because this is usage (dynamic) rather
> than structure (static) info.
> So IMO this belongs more into the jcd-part. Also, you might
> want to configure the cache differently depending on the jcd,
> which wouldn't be possible when attaching this info to the
> class descriptor.

I guess I hadn't thought of it that way. I assumed that this parameter
*was* static for a system. It would be decided on the developer based on
their business model (i.e. Organization is LongLived, but a Person is
ShortLived). But I can see where the same ClassDescriptor could be used
in multiple jcd configurations, and a desire to change the length of the
timeout for each level, but you think there would be a need to change
which level a class is?

For example, you can see a scenario where in one jcd a business object
would want to be ShortLived, but would need to be LongLived in another?
I guess for maximum flexibility it makes sense, I just was thinking that
it was intrinsically tied to the function of the object.

> One solution would be to have the cache configuration
> recognize patterns (regex ?!) rather than direct type names.

Yeah, but then that needs to be manually updated each time an object's
level is changed, where as the ClassDescriptor allows to be part of
Xdoclet, and very close to the code.

Andrew