db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Multi-Level Timeouts for Default Cache
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:58:37 GMT
> Hmm... I'm still not convinced that cache TTL has more to do with the
> DB specifics than the object model/class specifics but since the
> example is flexible enough to support both it's fine by me. :)
>
> (Although the naming should be tweaked a bit in the example,
> since 'short' et al is not a class as in cache-class.)

'short' in the example is just some name/id that the user defined for
one class in the longevity classification. It could also have been
called 'John' or something :-)
You're right though that cache-class would not be a good name, perhaps
cache-level or similar would be better ?

> Where I have seen the need for this, some objects are extremely long-lived
> and most others not. Regression tests etc are not concerned about cache
> timeouts at all (the cache should be, and is currently, completely transparent)
> - HSQLDB or Oracle would use the same object-level caching timeouts.

But perhaps not if you use different caches, i.e. something like
Coherence for the real app and integration testing, and a simpler
cache for development and unit tests. After all you setup the cache
for the target system, and usually the development systems differ from
the target systems, esp. in terms of memory and i/o throughput.

Tom