db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <mka...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Naming standard
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:11:14 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> * Interfaces for extension points have plain names, e.g. QueryFactory,
> PersistenceBroker etc.

+1

> * The class names of Implementations of such interfaces end in "Impl".

+0

I don't think this is needed in general, but OJB has a history with this
naming and I agree with Armin's point of "InterfaceNameAImpl" and
"InterfaceNameBImpl" beeing easy to group together.

> * Abstract base classes of such implementations have their name ending
> in "AbstractImpl"

+1

> * If OJB ships with one concrete implementation, and the interface is
> meant to be an extension point for users for their own implementations
> (e.g. ProxyFactory), then the implementation class name ends in
> "DefaultImpl".

+0

Don't have a strong opinion about this one.

> * Static factory classes will be removed. To my knowledge there are
> only two such classes in the 1.1 branch: QueryFactory and
> PersistenceBrokerFactory. The former is not really necessary because
> the methods only wrap around a constructor class. The latter mainly
> wraps around methods in the OJB class. The most interesting methods
> (defaultPersistenceBroker, createPersistenceBroker, etc.) should be
> moved to the OJB class.

-0

I don't think QueryFactory is too "evil", but I have not extensively
followed the 1.1 IoC refactoring so I am not voting against this.

> * Abbreviations where the unabbreviated name is used in OJB, are
> replaced with the unabbreviated name. E.g. PersistenceConfigurationKey
> instead of PCKey.

-1

The old "PBKey" is a well-known entity in the "PB-API world context",
I do not see any problems with having some abbreviated class names.

I also don't see a problem with having "PersistenceConfiguration"
and "PCKey" co-existing.

Thanks for summing up the vote, Tom!
Regards,
  Martin