db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Naming standard
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:50:07 GMT
Hi,

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> Following our discussion, I thought it useful to vote about a naming
> standard and - if successful - apply it prior to releasing the first
> version of the 1.1 branch.
>
> In the discussion the following scheme has emerged so I hereby propose it:
>
> * Interfaces for extension points have plain names, e.g. QueryFactory,
> PersistenceBroker etc.
>
> [x ] +1
> [ ] +/- 0
> [ ] -1
>
> * The class names of Implementations of such interfaces end in "Impl".
>
> [x ] +1
> [ ] +/- 0
> [ ] -1
>
> * Abstract base classes of such implementations have their name ending
> in "AbstractImpl"
>
> [x ] +1
> [ ] +/- 0
> [ ] -1
>
> * If OJB ships with one concrete implementation, and the interface is
> meant to be an extension point for users for their own implementations
> (e.g. ProxyFactory), then the implementation class name ends in
> "DefaultImpl".
>
> [ x] +1
> [ ] +/- 0
> [ ] -1
>
> * Static factory classes will be removed. To my knowledge there are
> only two such classes in the 1.1 branch: QueryFactory and
> PersistenceBrokerFactory. The former is not really necessary because
> the methods only wrap around a constructor class. The latter mainly
> wraps around methods in the OJB class. The most interesting methods
> (defaultPersistenceBroker, createPersistenceBroker, etc.) should be
> moved to the OJB class.
>
> [ x] +1
> [ ] +/- 0
> [ ] -1
>
> * Abbreviations where the unabbreviated name is used in OJB, are
> replaced with the unabbreviated name. E.g. PersistenceConfigurationKey
> instead of PCKey.
>
> [ ] +1
> [x ] +/- 0
> [ ] -1

I'm not confident about this (but if most other developer agree with
that I will accept it).
PCKey will be used often and the user/developer has to type the full
name on the IDE when used first or when used in documentation, email,
... - this is really nasty.
Using PersistenceConfiguration is the base concept of 1.x, so it's
evident for user/developer what PC means. If we allow to rename
PersistenceConfiguration.java to PC.java and use PCKey to lookup these
instances, then I agree with this naming convention.
Or is the intention to completely avoid abbreviations?

regards,
Armin