db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <mka...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release date for OJB 1.0.3 - a bug fix release
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 06:37:47 GMT
Armin Waibel wrote:
> call me crazy, but I suggest to make a OJB 1.0.3 bug fix release as soon
> as possible.

Critical bug = release as fast as possible IMO.

I don't think we should call it 1.0.2sp1 or just replace the
binary 1.0.2 that was actually downloadable for a while (the last
one is a _horrible_ support-scenario). For me a service-pack,
patch-set, hotfix or similar is a small binary package you drop
"next to" the relase and not a full release-drop.

My suggestion is 1.0.2a or 1.0.3 with clear release notes
("this is a bug fix release"?). Since OJB has no history of lettered
versioning, 1.0.3 seems more consistent.

Some other thoughts summarizing my view on recent release discussions
(given as hypothetical voting standpoints):

  +1 for normal release-cycle on a, say, monthly basis
     (I'm not picky with the exact cycle, 3-6 weeks is OK IMO.)

  -1 for pushing site only on release (let's push it more often!)

  -0 for holding off release beacuse of tutorial or site-changes

  +1 for scheduled code-freeze or vote on binaries

Regards,
  Martin