db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: odmg-api refactoring status
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:59:45 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:14:56 +0100, Armin Waibel <arminw@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>after rack my brains, smashing my computers and short of sleep it seems
>>that the odmg-api refactoring nearly finished. I will add new test cases
>>and fix all known issues in odmg-api - except 1 failure (hope I can fix
>>it soon). Will check in this stuff tomorrow.
>>
>>That's the good news, the bad is that I have to change the auto-xxx
>>settings of m:n relations (instead 'false' now 'none') and we have a
>>dramatic performance decrease (60%).
>

> Any idea why ?

Think the object state detection (iterate 4 times all registered
objects, first to find new and deleted objects, second to handle cascade
delete/insert for all deleted/new objects, third when write to DB,
fourth to cleanup things) and the object field image build (copy of all
fields and reference to all referenced objects) will be costly.

Have some improvements in mind, will try today.

>>Here are the important notes:
>>
>>- All m:n relation need auto-update/delete 'none'. Currently the setting
>>is changed internal - needs fix till release, update of test case mappings.
>

> Could you explain why ? Wouldn't it be better if the ODMG Api ignores
> these settings and always uses the 'none' setting internally so that
> one can mix PB and ODMG ?

This is exactly the problem. ODMG use the PB-api and currently it's not
possible to change the auto-xxx settings at runtime (remember, I suggest
this feature long time ago, but couldn't find the time to re-implement
it after my harddisk crash). So if odmg "ignores" the settings and
handle all stuff by itself, the PB-api auto-xxx settings still active
and "corrupt" store operations.

regards,
Armin