db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Ilkka Priha <impr...@surfeu.fi>
Subject Re: Feature Proposal: Bytecode generated Proxies
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:48:47 GMT
Why not release 1.0.2 ASAP with the current functionality, as the community has
wished for it ever since 1.0.1 because of the small as such but pretty nasty
hash code bug in cache handling, and release 1.0.3 with new stuff quite soon
after it. Then we would get a labeled release known to be compatible with
current apps (have had several months of time to test it ;-)). Proxy stuff
typically generates strange compatibility issues and resolving them might delay
the next 1.0.x release some more months.

-- Ilkka

Clute, Andrew wrote:
>>>From what I can tell at this point, providing a drop-in-replacement for proxies
is extremely doable -- there should be no significant change.  Provided that is the case,
I would like to get a consensus that it would be acceptable to introduce that functional swap
in the 1.0.X line (post 1.0.2).

> Part of my motivation is that I would like to get this introduced into *my* current production
system, and I don't want to deviate to far from official releases of OJB (I have maintained
separate versions a couple of times, but it is a pain).

> At the same time, a new proxy system can be introduced into HEAD that incorporates a
plug-in style model. Get the best of both worlds: an immediate scratch to the itch (or is
that itch to a scratch) and a long-term clean, flexible solution.

> Assuming this is acceptable, does anyone have comments or suggestions on the changes
I proposed to the metadata to support this?

> -Andrew

for 1.0.2, however it might be a bit of overworking it to provide a pluggable approach in
1.0.x-branch.