db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <mka...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Oracle9i platform does not work in managed environment]
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:23:27 GMT
Armin Waibel wrote:
> wow! sounds great!
> It's an an amazing idea to unwrap the connections and statements on
> Platform level to support DB specific features.

Yes, when I modified the last connections factory (DBCP) to also call
initializeJdbcConnection this opens up for all plaform impls to do
similar stuff by overriding this method.

If it's used elsewhere we can move some of the simple unwrapping code,
eg to the platform impl abstract base-class.

It's a bit tricky though since I am getting feedback on the user list
that Oracle-connections under JBoss (even if unwrapped and assignable
from oracle.jdbc.OracleConnection) refuse to set Oracle-specific
statement caching. But as long as P6Spy and DBCP works and as long as
managed platforms allow large BLOB/CLOB for unwrapped
connections/statments I think it's fine to leave connection tuning to
the J2EE container.

However, the Oracle9i platform have (finally!) stopped throwing
exceptions if extensions can't be enabled so it should be more graceful
and still work in unknown environments.

It used to be that lots of tests failed with Oracle9i + P6Spy and
BlobTest failed with DBCP but now all of those combinations work. (The
most interesting thing to debug is when using both Oracle10g
JDBC-driver, DBCP *and* P6Spy when the connection has to be unwrapped 3
times.) :-)

I am not seeing any noticeable performance degradation caused by the
unwrapping when running the tests, although this has to be verified by
the users in real-world situations...

Regards,
  Martin