db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Move 1.0.2 release to Tuesday, March 15th.
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:46:08 GMT
>> Say we have an object with circular reference
>> A1 -1:1-> B1 -1:n-> [A1,C]
>> and the 1:n is a collection proxy.
>>
>> Now user lookup A1 and get A1@11->B1@12-->[proxy@]. He wants to remove
>> the C object in the 1:n reference in B@12. Because B has an proxy
>> collection, the proxy materialize on
>> B.getC's().remove(1) ==> remove C
>> call.
>> While materialization of the collection proxy OJB lookup again an A1
>> instance. Because the previous materialzed A1@11 instance isn't in the
>> cache, so OJB lookup a new instance for A1 ==> A1@22 and a new B1@44
>>
>> Thus we have A1@11 --> B1@12 -->proxy@[A1@22[-->B1@44]-->A1@22] !!!!
>> Needless to say this will cause problems on update.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>

> Is this new because of cache-changes and/or ODMG API cache-usage in 1.0.2?

No, think this problem was always alive in all OJB versions, all API -
when combine different cache than "default", proxies, circular references.
It does not occur when a global "object instance sharing" cache is used
(ObjectCacheDefaultImpl and this was used by default in previous versions).

> If _not_ regression since 1.0.1, my suggestion is simply to document
> under known issues that "using the ODMG API with collection proxies and
> a cache implementation other than ObjectCacheDefaultImpl is known to
> cause problems on update, please do not use this combination in
> production environments with this relase of OJB".
> (Or preferably something shorter). ;)

ok, agree we can't fix this till next release.

> This way we could release 1.0.2 and get some time to solve this properly
> without the stress of an upcoming release.

ok, will try to resolve the other odmg issues today or in 20 hours, so
that Brian can build the release tomorrow.

Armin