db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <mka...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clob/Blob handling
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:08:25 GMT
Armin Waibel wrote:
> I think that in JdbcTypesHelper$T_Clob/T_Blob inner classes the handling
> of Blob/Clob is not correct. The JDBC 3.0 mapping for BLOB is
> java.sql.Blob but in methods #readValueFromStatement(...) and
> #readValueFromResultSet(...) we always return a byte[] object.

Unfortunately I think changing this might reintroduce the Oracle 2k/4k
limitations on BLOB/CLOB (using the thin driver).

Oracle have their own Blob and Clob class and recommend to cast to
Oracle-specific classes when working with these datatypes (just as they
are recommending casting connections to OracleConnection for enabling
some optimizations on the Connection-level). No good for a generic
platform model, like in OJB.

But this would definately be something to investigate for OJB1.1, if you
have some ideas for patches I can test them on Oracle later (I still
want to get finished with 1.0.2-work before going on to update from CVS
trunk and 1.1-project).

Regards,
  Martin