db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Clute, Andrew" <Andrew.Cl...@osn.state.oh.us>
Subject UPDATE: (was: Feature Proposal: Bytecode generated Proxies)
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:45:27 GMT
I have finished the changes to make all dynamic proxies generated by
CGLIB. In the limited testing that I have done, proxy generation using
CGLIB seems to be in the order of 30-50% faster than JDK proxies
(assuming you cache the initial CGLIB Factory). The code is very
straight forward, and works great!

However, at this point I would not recommend introducing it to the 1.0.X
line. :(

While it *should* be completely transparent to the user which proxy
system is being used, there is one vital spot where it does become
apparent: the new generated proxies *are not* of type
java.lang.reflect.Proxy. This could be troublesome for people who have
infrastructure depending on the notion that those objects are of type
Proxy. This change could unknowingly break that code.

So, while this has been very helpful as an R&D project, I think the only
right away do to this is as we have said before, introduce it into the
HEAD as a pluggable interface, with a common base Proxy implementation
that all Proxy plug-ins would generate (like OJBProxy). That way, the
current JDK based implementation could be maintained, and probably be
the default.

-Andrew