db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UPDATE: (was: Feature Proposal: Bytecode generated Proxies)
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:18:19 GMT
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:45:27 -0500, Clute, Andrew
<Andrew.Clute@osn.state.oh.us> wrote:
> I have finished the changes to make all dynamic proxies generated by
> CGLIB. In the limited testing that I have done, proxy generation using
> CGLIB seems to be in the order of 30-50% faster than JDK proxies
> (assuming you cache the initial CGLIB Factory). The code is very
> straight forward, and works great!
>
> However, at this point I would not recommend introducing it to the 1.0.X
> line. :(
>
> While it *should* be completely transparent to the user which proxy
> system is being used, there is one vital spot where it does become
> apparent: the new generated proxies *are not* of type
> java.lang.reflect.Proxy. This could be troublesome for people who have
> infrastructure depending on the notion that those objects are of type
> Proxy. This change could unknowingly break that code.

I would not let this hinder us to introduce cglib in 1.0.x, especially
when proxies would be that much faster. There are methods in the
ProxyHelper class that do these kinds of test, so if we document the
cglib change and encourage anyone to use the ProxyHelper class than
that should be alright ?!
Tom