db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jars that can be easily updated
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:32:22 GMT
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:15:50 +0100, Martin Kalén <mkalen@apache.org> wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> > I already make a rebuild + test the databases and getting the same results
> > with this jar updates:
>
> Thanks for testing, Antonio. Something to look into after Sunday's release.
>
> > antlr to 2.7.5
> > commons-dbcp to 1.2.1
>
> NB: you are not testing antlr and/or DBCP using the standard test suite.
>
> The antlr JAR will only be used when re-generating OQL grammar with
> "ant oql" (never used by OJB run-time, only seldom when OQL grammar
> changes).

Actually that's not true. The Antlr Runtime classes are used whenever
a OQL expression is evaluated, e.g. in some ODMG tests. That's also
why this particular change needs a re-generation of the OQL parser
followed by a retest of at least the ODMG tests.

> The DBCP JAR will only be used when selecting DBCP as connection factory
> in OJB.properties (not used by default for OJB run-time, only when you
> select DBCP connection factory in OJB.properties).
>
> A new testcase should really be added that makes some simple
> connection-pool checkout/checkin operations for each connection factory
> implementation.

Nonetheless it is useful to include it with OJB, especially because I
think it is used somewhere in ojb-blank or in the tutorials.

> > log4j to 1.2.9
>
> This JAR is identical to 1.2.8. Only difference is that some older
> methods are marked as deprecated, so it's not that important to upgrade
> before 1.3.0 is out (old ~= stone ages ;) OJB is not using any of those
> deprecated calls).
>
>  > commons-pool to 1.2
>  > commons-beanutils to 1.7
>  > commons-logging to 1.0.4
>
> These, together with DBCP, are probably the most important ones for OJB
> run-time operations and after 1.0.2 release it's a good idea to upgrade.

IMO changes to libraries that are used at runtime requires a rerun of
the unit tests on all supported databases, so we perhaps should defer
it to 1.0.3 ?

Tom