db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OJB 1.1] Status?
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:28:14 GMT
Brian McCallister wrote:
> Hi all, sorry I faded out of existence for a while there.
>
> What is the status of changes for 1.1 and 1.0.2?
>
> For 1.0.2:
>
> I'd like to push 1.0.2 real-soon-now. There are a couple failing tests,

I get 1 failure in odmg tests, 1 failure in otm tests (against hsql).
(my locally OJB1.0.x version with changed locking stuff)

> which I will try to look at this weekend, but once wrapped up, is there
> anything pending in it?

Today or tomorrow I will check in changes in locking handling:
- Restore the "old" odmg locking api and declare it deprecated, because
only this way we can guarantee 100% compatibility (the old locking stuff
can be enabled in OJB.properties file, by default the new was used).
- Reworked the new kernel locking stuff (now all operations should be
atomic, so concurrency problems should no longer happen)
- Add support for apache's commons-transaction locking stuff. I had
contact with the founder and the next version of commons-tx will include
some changes needed to make it work with OJB. Till this a dev-jar in
OJB/lib directory was added.
- Locking docs (needs still some changes to reflect the new stuff)

I found new problems with the odmg dirty/new/deleted object detection
mechanism. There are problems with proxy objects (and other stuff). I
don't find a "simple fix" or workaround for these problems, think we
have to rework this stuff.
There is a test case called ObjectImageTest (bad name I know ;-)). All
tests are commented out. Run these tests to get an impression of the
problem.
I locally started with an odmg rework, but first I wanted to complete
the new kernel locking handling.

So the PB-api is ready for release, but the odmg-api has things to fix
(e.g. still outstanding m:n bug fixing).

regards,
Armin