db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert S. Sfeir" <rob...@codepuccino.com>
Subject Re: [OJB 1.1] Status?
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:20:35 GMT

Ok I'll chime in again and say we constantly bite off more than we can
chew.  I know I haven't been on here doing much of anything either,
still I will take a little opportunity and throw my 2 cents in:

1- Don't hold up a release because some tutorials are not there.
people are waiting for bug fixes, the tutorials are nice, but they can
be uploaded later as they don't affect people's operation, nor is
adding a tutorial cause for testing and backward compatibility checks.

2- Same for the Struts-based webapp sample.

3- As far as 1.1 again we're biting off MUCH more than we can chew.
Each one of us has ideas as to what they would like to see OJB, but I
keep feeling like we're all operating on our own, doing our own thing.
We don't have a backlog of things we need to tackle, at least not one I
see easily.  DOn't tell me about the wiki, the wiki sucks to keep track
of this kind of stuff.  You need something like xplanner or what ever
to be able to track these things.  We NEED to work in short iterations.
  I've said it before, and I'll bitch about it again.  The list of 1.1
can be cut down into 4 different releases and no one will cry about it:

1.1 finish the Spring facilitation
1.2 add jdk 1.5 support and xdoclet changes
1.3 HiveMind
1.4 Tapestry.
1.5 DbUtil project

I know some of these can be bundled up and knocked into one build
because it might be easy to do since you're bean based, but it is cause
for much delay, much testing, and much retesting every time we add so
much together.  A x.x.1 release is taking 5 months and there really is
no need for it.

Let's just spew 1.0.2 already, I already spoke with Brian and am more
than willing to step through the release with him so I can learn and
help do it.  I've sent in my pgp key and everything for that, so I'm
ready.