db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OJB 1.1] Status?
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:01:49 GMT
> On the rest below then it still sounds like 3 releases not 1 regardless
> of what the release number is, do them iteratively and give them to the
> users to use a piece at a time not all of it in one shot, alpha or not.
>
> 1.1 1.5, and IoC
> 1.1.1 xdoclet meta model changes
> 1.1.2 Rest
>
> The thing is that we have to make a choice as to what is important
> first, they can't all be equally important, even if they were, there is
> a dependency rolling down between them, so push them down iteratively
> by implementation order.  Also iterations should be stable, not alpha,
> an iteration would not be done if the code for that iteration is not
> stable.  What you call it, I really don't care honestly.

Well, the meta model changes (to OJB btw, not to the XDoclet module)
are already in place more or less, though the classes need some
cleaning up (or rather, they should be made proper beans to be really
usable via IoC). The XDoclet module only needs to be updated to
reflect those changes, i.e. to generate valid XML for the changed
model. And this can't be broken into seperate steps.
Actually 1.5 support should come after that because we need XDoclet
support for 1.5 and this is not yet available.

I think however that such a policy of release really will have a
problem with adoption. If you check the user mailing list you will see
that there are still users of 0.9x versions which is *really* old, or
the rc4,rc5. A proper release (minor or major) every 2,3 months is
quite enough, otherwise you won't get enough feedback on the new
features to be sure that they really work (both in terms of function
and of usefulness).

Tom