db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improving build.xml
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:05:03 GMT
> As for separate files, I can suggest an approach where all release-related tasks
> are separated into second file, so that one build file is used most by
> developers, and another build file is used by ojb committers who are preparing a
> release.

Splitting into build files is only meant to make the build
instructions more readable. The main build file will still contain all
public targets, but it will refer to the sub build files (which likely
go into a sub directory) for performing them. Having truly separate
build files leads to problems because it is easy to forget running one
when performing a change, which of course is problematic.

> It's not complex as it is, but ANT_HOME and forrest are not necessary to build
> OJB as it is.

In the CVS head, ANT_HOME is required (and has to be present anyway as
Ant itself requires it).
And of the external dependencies, only one -  forrest - is not
required to build the core library.

Btw, I think OJB's build script is not really complicated. If you want
to see a really horrifying build script, have a look at the one from
Appfuse.

Tom