db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improving build.xml
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:41:25 GMT
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:22:26 -0500, Vadim Gritsenko
<vadim@reverycodes.com> wrote:

> Duplication of code increases maintenance and splitting into several files won't
> fix it.

Yes, but there are limits to refactoring Ant scripts. E.g. if you want
to have only one compile target, but be able to generate both debug
and non-debug builds, then you need to invoke the compile target from
within the build target manually and overwriting the properties there
(debug=on etc.). This somewhat defeats the purpose of refactoring
because the resulting script is actually harder to read than the
original one.

> I agree with documentation generation point though: when developing ojb you
> don't have to have forrest install, so docs build related checks and targets
> should be better isolated from code builds.

Personally I think that somebody who really wants to build OJB from
source can be expected to fetch the relevant dependencies (which are
not much, really, only those that we cannot - from license or size
reasons -  distribute them with the ojb src archive).
Also I'm in the process of reworking some of the tutorials, and I'll
add a short tutorial on building OJB from source which should make
this easier.

Tom