db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [repository.dtd] class-descriptor attribute 'extends' - dispensable?
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:47:13 GMT
Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Maitre (POP - Factory Part) wrote:
> Hello Armin,
>
> As you know for my previous posts (on inheritance on multiple tables) we
> use this attribute in our applications.

sorry, forget to mentioned this in my post.

> But if OJB 1.1 meet our needs
> for inheritance without modification we will enjoy to use it.

As said my previous posts I never used this "hidden" feature, but OJB
supports already inheritance and polymorphism
http://db.apache.org/ojb/docu/guides/advanced-technique.html#Extents+and+Polymorphism
http://db.apache.org/ojb/docu/guides/advanced-technique.html#Mapping+Inheritance+Hierarchies

What kind of inheritance do you need?

> If this is
> not the case, we will do a more clean implementation for OJB 1.1 of our
> patches that uses the extend attribute for and submit it to the community.
> SO the community decide but there is at minimum 2 developers in the
> world who uses this attribute :-)

If the "hidden extend feature" satisfy cases of inheritance that
couldn't be replaced by other OJB mapping configuration, we have to
improve OJB to support this without the "hidden extend" attribute or to
support this feature with docs and test cases.

regards,
Armin