db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>
Subject Re: [repository.dtd] class-descriptor attribute 'extends' - dispensable?
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:25:43 GMT
Armin Waibel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> seems that this attribute was not used by anyone. We don't have a test
> case, no documentation. The intention of this attribute is to allow
> some kind of "mapping inheritance" by declaring the super class the
> fields inherited from.
> I don't like this attempt, because in code we always have to lookup
> the super-fields too and the inheritance of references is not solved.
>
> So I suggest to deprecate or remove this attribute from dtd and clear
> up source code.
>
> Any other suggestions? Does someone use this stuff?

This seems to be a good opportunity to actually deprecate the 'extent'
stuff in favor of the more Java-like 'extends' stuff ;-)
Perhaps it is possible to do this stepwise, i.e. first change the DTD
and upon reading in the repository descriptor, convert it to the known
extent-way, and later on change the implementation, as well ?

Tom