db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <mka...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OJB1.1] New Batch handling and Oracle
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:11:05 GMT
Armin Waibel wrote:

>  > Since it is impossible to mix JDBC-batching and "Oracle-style batching"
>  > I think OJB 1.1 should go for the JDBC-method to enable a consistent
>  > batching-model across all platforms. It's also nice to keep the platform
>  > interface small and clean.
>
> ok, thanks Martin!
> Agree with you.
> Could you cleanup the Oracle platform classes and remove the
> superfluously three methods in Platform class?

According to Matthew Baird, who implemented the Oracle-specific optimizations in OJB, the

difference between Oracle-style vs JDBC-style batching is quite big. I didn't find any
performance tests or comparison during a quick search of Oracle technet, so I think I
change my mind in favor of keeping Matt's optimizations until we have some figures that
can prove JDBC-style batching capable of the same performance...

If it means a lot for OJB Oracle-performance it's worth keeping those exta platform-API
methods. (Although Oracle's habit of implementing their own stuff outside of standard JDBC

is somewhat annoying IMO.)

Regards,
  Martin