db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Lock Management
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:13:20 GMT
I am looking, in the very near future, to do a simple dirty-only cache
replication system based on ActiveMQ/ActiveCluster as well.

My plans are to simply use topic support and broadcast TextMessage
impls with table names and pk values of rows that need to be flushed.
The idea is to crank up local caching and only transmit dirty changes.
Replicating the whole object is too expensive on a large cluster. Using
table+pk allows non-OJB apps making changes to participate as well by
producing/subscribing and understanding the schema.

If you can get on IRC during the day (day meaning daytime and early
evening in London) James Strachan is usually available and quite
willing to help on irc.codehaus.org in #activemq

Having ODMG lockmap support in it would be very handy. I would suggest
starting with activemq's built-in multicast support for local networks
since the total size of identity+locktype should (really should!) be
smaller than the broadcast packet size. If you (we) need bigger
packets, using the jgroups support would probably be the next step. The
reason for the multicast:// or jgroups:// is exactly that single point
of failure problem. Both of these impls are fully peer-to-peer in
activemq.

-Brian