db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <mka...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OJB1.1] New Batch handling and Oracle
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:01:20 GMT
Armin Waibel wrote:

> currently the new OJB1.1 batch handling completely ignore the three
> methods introduced in Platform interface
>
>     public void beforeBatch(PreparedStatement stmt) throws
> PlatformException;
>     public void addBatch(PreparedStatement stmt) throws PlatformException;
>     public int[] executeBatch(PreparedStatement stmt) throws
> PlatformException;
>
> to support an Oracle specific batch handling. Do we need these specific
> callback methods for Oracle with new OJB batch package too, does Oracle
> not support the standard batch behavior for >=JDBC2.0?

Quotes from Oracle's technet on these issues (snippets from
http://www.oracle.com/technology//products/oracle9i/daily/jun07.html):

* Standard Update Batching (explicit model)
Recommended when code portability across different database and JDBC drivers is a higher
priority than performance.

* Oracle Update Batching (implicit and faster model)
Oracle update batching is usually faster than the standard update batching but only
supports PreparedStatement.

Since it is impossible to mix JDBC-batching and "Oracle-style batching" I think OJB 1.1
should go for the JDBC-method to enable a consistent batching-model across all platforms.

It's also nice to keep the platform interface small and clean.

Regards,
  Martin