db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <mka...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons DBCP
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:21:32 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:

>> So when we implement the custom connection attributes in OJB1.1 we
>> should probably also upgrade to Commons DBCP 1.2.1 and try to use the
>> BasicDataSource instead of AbandonedConfig.
>
> Does this BasicDataSource derive from javax.sql.DataSource ? If so, it
> would perhaps best if we try to use pure DataSource's whenever possible.
> This would greatly simplify integration with other frameworks/libraries
> (e.g. Struts, Spring).

Bad wording from me. Rephrase; we should try to use BasicDataSource instead of (the
currently used) AbandonedConfig _in the Commons DBCP-specific connection factory
implementation code_.

This is unrelated to all other connection factories, and since OJB has a connection
factory API there is no risk that a single implementation narrows generic JDBC-classes
down to implementation-specific ones.

(I use "connection factory" terminology, although Armin's refactoring plans might change
this - however, the same concepts re DBCP apply.)

Cheers,
  Martin