db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: Dirty Take 2 (checked in) (feedback please!)
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:50:15 GMT
On Aug 12, 2004, at 1:16 PM, Jakob Braeuchi wrote:

<snip />

> visitReferences steps through all of the fields of the wrapped object.
> imo we could speed it up by simply looking at the reference- and
> collection-descriptors. but then we should be able to plug in our own
> wrappers.
> is this possible ?

I am planning on making the reachability algorithm (the traversal
mechanism for the visitor) be pluggable like the other fatcories, in
this case the OJB impl could traverse based on the class descriptors.
OTOH, it will be nice to support transactional-nonpersistent instances.

Whether it is better to plug in the wrappers or the visitor I am not
sure, I was planning on visitor, but alternate ideas are needed. Need
to think on making the wrapper factory pluggable. Originally
ObjectWrapper and CollectionWrapper were just Wrapper, and you had to
detect, but decided later to split em.

Some more thinking on this and I realized we could completely implement
a JDO/JDO2 layer via callbacks to the PB -- JDO specifies enough
callbacks to handle everything in the persistence layer that way, so
the JDO stuff could have *no* dependencies on OJB. The hairy part
becomes the query, but if the query compiler can hand an AST to OJB,
which we can translate, bingo.

-Brian