db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject State Tracking
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 03:23:17 GMT
The stuff I have been doing with o.a.o.broker.dirty.* has led me to
realize generalizing that state tracking is a pretty trivial step
beyond what it does now.

I am thinking hard about writing a general state tracking and
unit-of-work library without an OJB dependency, then swapping out the
Dirty* stuff to use that library.

Benefits to OJB
	Shrinks codebase
	Encourages reuse of modules (this would be a module)
	Provide transaction handling for transient instances

Drawbacks
	Duplication of purpose with the OTM
	General solution will be slightly less perfect, probably

The OTM worries me right now. It is extremely complex, has subtle
issues, the two primary creators of it are no longer working on it, and
the primary person now working on it (Oleg) doesn't actually *use* it.

-Brian