db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert S. Sfeir" <rob...@codepuccino.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release OJB 1.0.1
Date Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:24:41 GMT

On 7/31/04 8:02 AM, "J.Braeuchi" <jbraeuchi@gmx.ch> wrote:

> hi robert,
>
> Robert S. Sfeir schrieb:
>
>> Hum... I've just been catching up to this, I hope I'm not stepping in too
>> late, or out of line and didn't get the issue...
>>
>> If you were doing this with standard SQL approach and your DB had foreign
>> keys, you'd never be able to store your main object without the referenced
>> keys already existing.  I think this should be considered a feature, and
>>

> that's why i'd like to have referential integrity enabled in our test-dbs.
>
>> probably good form to force the user to think about what they're persisting
>> and how they're doing it.  If it's documented, then users will adapt to it.
>> I think that trying to make everything transparent to the user is always a
>> great goal, but let's not treat them like dummies ;-)
>>

> we'll have to document it, because we do not have statement reordering.

While that would be quite a feature, it would need some serious analysis of
dependencies to effectively reorder statements and decide which order to
execute them in especially in many to many situations and lots of joins.  I
think performance would seriously suffer... Unless it's cached or anything.