db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert S. Sfeir" <rob...@codepuccino.com>
Subject Re: Forward!
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:21:02 GMT

On Jul 1, 2004, at 6:55 PM, Brian McCallister wrote:

> Okay, AIM conversation with Robert convinced me we need to start
> pushing post 1.0 stuff right now =)
>
> Robert, that is your cue ;-)

haha ok Brian.

What I suggested to Brian, to fend off Hibernate, and to let people
know that activity is high and on for this project we need to schedule
releases with defined cycles and commit ourselves to them.

I am not suggesting anything hard, or anything aggressive, but short
and sweet.

What I told Brian is that we need to put out 1.0.1 in the next 2 weeks.
  if we don't know what should go in it, then let's figure it out.  It
doesn't have to be much, but it will be enough to get people's
attention that we're putting out releases.

I believe that every 4 weeks there needs to be a release.  That release
is a .0.x release which would include fixes from previous dot releases,
and then contain small to medium improvements.

There should be a .x release every 3 months.  Again I am not suggesting
we throw the kitchen sink of changes at the user, I am suggesting 1-2
major feature change every 3 months along with the small incremental
changes and fixes.

A 3 month short cycle of features and fixes we can handle, provides a
constant stream of improvements to the user which doesn't overwhelm
them, allows them to grow their application with the changes, and
allows the user to expect what will be coming next.

The JDO stuff Brian was referring to is not a 3 months cycle.  It might
be rolled incrementally as part as some builds, while the skeleton and
some of the back end code might be added in cycles, the api might not
be available for 2-3 cycles or as part of a major release.

First thing we need is a list of feature requests, enhancements, and
bugs.  I know there is a bug tracker somewhere which I have not
accessed yet, and we can determine from that what we can do.

I can also install XPlanner on my server and we can run the control of
the cycles from there, and adjust our load based on the output over
time.