db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Sfeir <rob...@codepuccino.com>
Subject Re: Vector use
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:59:42 GMT

> Please be careful with the use of final, though. There are several
> reasons why *not* to use final in certain places (for instance see
> here:
> http://www.magpiebrain.com/archives/2004/06/13/final), and especially
> final APIs can become quite useless.

The change of final I had made were in very specific spots and none of
them were to methods or classes.  Also yes, one of the reasons we
SHOULD be using it, is because this is open source and as such we
should not just blindly trust anyone making the changes, and this would
give us an edge over folks who might not be very careful on a change
and at least it will trip them up before the code is submitted.

That said the changes were to method parameters, instance variables
etc...  the intent is not to limit the extension of the api, rather
make sure a parameter/variable doesn't get unintentionally changed when
it's not supposed to, and help hint to the GC that it can toss them
just as soon as it can.