db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Sfeir <rob...@codepuccino.com>
Subject Re: Vector use
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:33:44 GMT
I guess what bugs me the most about Vector is that it's synchronized,
and while I am not extremely familiar with the code, there are some
spots which look like we don't need synchronization, and we could
benefit from the added performance.

The other thing is that since Vector has been retrofitted to implement
Collection, when we have a line like:

private Vector foo = new Vector();

wouldn't it be better to use something like:

private List foo = new Vector();
or
private Collection foo = new Vector();

(Depending on the purpose of course being listed v/s non discriminatory)

which should allow us to support people using 1.2 + in any case, then
we can change our implementation underneath as we go forward and not
affect the code.  We can apply changes to the impl as we properly
determine sync need v/s none, and choose a better Collection when we
see the need.

Thoughts?