db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>
Subject Re: [OT] MySql and JDBC under Linux
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:08:27 GMT
Jakob Braeuchi wrote:

>hi thomas,
>
>i'm a linux rookie so i simply installed it with default settings. wht puzzles
>me is that mysqlcc works but jdbc does not.

mysqlcc probably uses Unix Pipes rather than TCP/IP. When used from a
different machine to connect to your MySQL, it shouldn't work anymore.
Since you probably used the MySQL package supplied by SUSE, there is the
possibility that TCP/IP was disabled per default. Check the
configuration of mysql, should be somewhere in /etc, or the init.d
script. Also, the rpm tool of SUSE should be able to show you a list of
installed files for the MySQL package, and where they were installed.
On my Mandrake 10, I had the same issue with PostgreSQL, though the
error message was a bit more helpful: it actually told me to check
whether TCP/IP connections were enabled.
You might also want to check out the Connector/J doc:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector/j/en/index.html

I'm no MySQL expert myself. I guess I was lucky so far for MySQL simply
worked (Windows and Linux).

Tom