db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>
Subject Re: Vector use
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:55:54 GMT
Robert Sfeir wrote:
> k.  Just getting an opinion before I pick through things.  I think we
> should DEFINITELY profile OJB after 1.0.  I don't intend to make any of
> these changes right now.  I've already told Brian that I think there are
> a few things that can be done, including removing Tail Recursions where
> possible for example, to improve performance.  Brian also knows I'm a
> performance freak, and pick at the little things.  So since I don't know
> OJB as well as everyone else does, and do what I can to contribute, I
> pick at performance analysis with the tools I currently have.

Definitly a +1 both because of the (hopefully) great performance boost
and the lots of new unit tests ;-)
BTW, what performance tools do you use ? Have you used Hyades ? I would
be interested to hear how that one compares.

> I've already suggested the use of final in a lot of places and ran some
> tests a while ago, and showed some serious drops in memory usage, but I
> think my patch was entirely too big for Brian to implement in one shot.

Please be careful with the use of final, though. There are several
reasons why *not* to use final in certain places (for instance see here:
http://www.magpiebrain.com/archives/2004/06/13/final), and especially
final APIs can become quite useless.

> I just want OJB to completely smoke the competition in performance :-)

Again +2 !

Tom