db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject [vote] commons-logging
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 20:41:12 GMT
I'd like to start a vote as to whether OJB should migrate to
commons-logging for its logging purposes. IMO this is beneficial as it
adds value (pluggable logging, separation of logging settings and OJB
configuration) at the relatively small cost of 1 additional dependency
to a 30k library (which is already part of the dist).

Antonio Gallardo expressed concerns that this might lead to problems:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=ojb-dev@db.apache.org&msgNo=7386

but IMO these problems do not apply to OJB:

* we're already using static classes in logging (so two apps with a shared
classloader will use the same logging setup) - commons-logging is no
different

* even though commons-logging uses classloader magic to determine which
logging implementation to use, this can be turned off using a service
declarator in the manifest, or with a specific system property

The actual migration is not much work: for most classes, it means a simple
change to the imports (importing commons-logging instead of the logging
classes of OJB).

Tom