db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject Re: Separation of OJB and Logging settings
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 20:32:13 GMT
On Sun, 30 May 2004, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Another point: add/remove a jar to the distribution. I think less
> dependencies is better.

Well, that's the everlasting battle between having dependencies and
reinventing the wheel - its got to be either of the two. And I for one
think that reusing is better that trying to reinvent because this usually
means that more eyes see the code so it contains less bugs. And in the
case of commons-logging IMO it also adds value to OJB (pluggable logging
without much effort, even with reduced OJB code size). And its only about
30k - not much for a library.
BTW, commons-logging is already part of the OJB dist - XDoclet uses it and
the SequenceManagerNativeImpl uses it as well (accidentally I guess).

Tom