db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject Re: Separation of OJB and Logging settings
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 09:12:48 GMT
On Sat, 29 May 2004, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Yesterday in Cocoon was a discussion about logging. The problem in
> common-logging seems to be that uses black magic to detect the logging
> approach:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=108566495132450&w=2
>
> OJB is a jar that can be used in standalone applications as well as
> servlets and inside Applications servers. In this way I would prefer to
> stay away of commons-logging.

I don't think that the problems mentioned in the thread actually apply to
OJB. For one, OJB already uses static logging (singleton logger factory),
so there is no difference to commons-logging in this regard. As for the
black magic configuration, I dont see this as the problem. There are at
least three ways to tell commons-logging exactly which logging framework
to use (in which case it won't perform its magic):

* provide a commons-logging.properties file
* specify a logging service in the MANIFEST:
    META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
* specify a system property org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory

Tom