db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject Re: [RFC] OJB in-a-jar
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 09:52:04 GMT
On Thu, 27 May 2004, Thomas Mahler wrote:

> It would be nice to have it in 1.0, agreed. It does not involve any API
> changes, so there is no reason against this change.
>
> But I'm not so optimistic about the time frame.
> Currently most OJB.properties are only read once. There is no concept of
> updating those settings at runtime.
> Of course it's easy to update a key/value map at runtime. But it's quite
> a different thing to change all the depenend components that use this
> configuration to be reconfigurable.
> Of course it's possible to do this change to, but it needs careful
> analysis of existing code.

Actually that's not what I intended. IMO there are few properties for
which runtime changeability is useful. My idea was to change OJB so that
it does lazy initialization (evaluation of the properties), e.g. as late
as possible (i.e. prior to creating a broker). This would enable the user
to set properties programatically rather than having to supply a file. As
soon as the broker has been created, an attempted change to a property
would result in an exception.

Tom